My local council — Torfaen, in Wales — now requires us to use five distinct receptacles for garbage disposal:
- A blue squishy bag to hold cardboard for recycling.
- A smallish black tub for plastic, aluminium, and paper to be recycled.
- A big green bin for garden waste for composting.
- A small brown caddy for food waste, also for (separate?) composting.
- A big black bin for everything else (this stuff goes to landfill).
To add to the complexity, the green bin is only collected on even weeks through the summer, the black tub and brown caddy are collected every week, but the black bin and blue sack are odd weeks year-round. Oh, and on bank holiday weeks, the collections run a day late (so our Wednesday collection becomes a Thursday). This diagram is the quick reference guide the council provided us with.
I feel like I live in the future… a future where I am too stupid to understand how to throw anything away.